Increased Ingestion of Batteries – A Mounting Risk for Children

A novel study has shown that there has been a considerable augment in the cases of buttons and cylindrically shaped batteries being ingested, especially in kids, and that the cells got stuck in the esophagus which required prompt removal within 2 hours for preventing grave health risks like internal blood loss, scalding or tissue tearing.

The investigators additionally have called on the makers to develop child-safe measures that involve securing the battery section on daily domestic items and creating industry benchmarks which will need caveat labelling to assist in reducing swallowing incidents of such batteries.

Duo researches conducted found an over six folds rise in the proportion of batteries and buttons being swallowed from 1985 till recent times and has direct relation to the increasing usage of lithium cell battery for powering domestic items, inclusive of telly remote control, flashlight, camera, hearing aid and also kid’s toy items. On the whole, there have been thirteen fatalities resulting due to buttons or battery being stuck in the esophageal area or air passage.

The first study finding indicated the following:

  • Button Batteries IngestionThere was one to eighteen percent rise in ingestion of twenty to twenty-five mms thickness batteries and a parallel twenty-four percent increase in lithium battery cells being ingested.
  • The twenty mm thickness lithium cell batteries was associated to the most acute results and were linked to acute burns in two to three hours post-intake.
  • Kids below six years of age were found to be part of the nearly sixty-two percent cases of battery cell intakes.
  • Age was a major forecaster of acuteness; and eighty-five percent of main outcomes were found to occur among kids that were under four years of age.
  • Amongst the deaths, doctors wrongly diagnosed 7 from the thirteen fatalities due to non-definite signs inclusive puking, weariness, fever, lost craving for food, irate behaviour, coughing, breathlessness and at times being dehydrated. Batteries were lodged in the esophageal area for ten hours to fourteen days prior to being removed or fatality.
  • Kids developed injury despite having removed the battery, inclusive of esophageal tears, fistula or hole forming in the trachea-esophageal area, fistula formation in main blood vessels and significant inner blood loss.

How children acquired the batteries?

The second research found that the swallowed batteries were taken out directly from the domestic items in around sixty-two percent of the cases. The batteries are found to be loose in around thirty percent of the cases. The batteries were procured straight from the battery package in eight percent of the cases. In over thirty-seven percent of the cases, the twenty mm thickness lithium batteries swallowed had been taken out from remote controls.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popularity: 36% [?]

RSSComments (0)

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv Enabled

邮件营销| 電郵推廣| 邮件群发软件| Email Marketing| 搜尋引擎優化 SEO

Tomtop| Online shop| Online Einkaufen

地產代理/物業投資| 租辦公室/租寫字樓| 地產新聞| 甲級寫字樓/頂手| Grade A Office| Commercial Building / Office building| Hong Kong Office Rental| Rent Office| Office for lease / office leasing| Office for sale| Office relocation

DecorCollection European design furniture| sofa hk| sofas| beds| coffee tables| dining tables| dining chairs| sideboards| furniture hk| Cattelan Italia| Koinor

International schools hong kong| Wycombe Abbey British International School in Hong Kong| Wycombe Abbey| Wycombe Abbey School

Addmotor Electric Bike| Electric bike shop / electric bicycle shop Electric bike review| Electric trike| Fat tire electric bike| Best electric bike| Electric bicycle/E bike| Electric bikes for sale| Folding electric bike| Electric mountain bike| Electric tricycle Mid drive electric bike| Juiced Bikes Pedego Rad-Power